Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Ideal Weight?

Via Facebook - "I've been learning a lot about nutrition since I started getting into triathlons a year ago. One thing I can't figure out is what is my ideal/ target weight? I had a reg dietician tell me I could get down to 125 (I'm 5'8" and now approx 145, 135-140 in tri season) but that seems like a hard weight to maintain in the off-season. Is there a way to tell what my ideal weight is without having to feel like I need to constantly diet to maintain it?"

Use a BMI calculator to see if you are in the "normal" weight range. 145 is smack dab in the middle of the normal range, so you are at an ideal weight. There is a very wide weight variance for what is considered "normal." 120-165 lbs is all considered normal at your height. This is a discrepancy of about 33% of your total weight. The dietitian in theory is right that you *could* get to 125 but its at the very, very low end of the "normal" range in the BMI and remember, BMI only takes into consideration height and weight, not muscle mass, of which im sure you have some. Losing another 25 lbs would be both tough, unnecessary and counterproductive to your tri goals. In summary, you're good! Focus on your cardiovascular endurance, speed, muscular endurance, core strength and flexibility.

1 comment:

  1. What about those of us who are over 40 struggling to stay in a size 6 (or 4 or 2, etc.). I find if I don't keep tabs on my weight it will get away from me and next thing I know I am up a size. I wish it were as easy as you say!

    ReplyDelete