Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Project 365: Who Would You Rather Pay?

Guest blog post by JaNeese from Project 365!

"As someone who is far from being the poster child for healthy living, I wasn't quite sure what I could contribute to a blog about eating better, moving better, living better. But in life there is a lesson in everything - the CEO can learn something from the janitor, the parent can learn something from the child...and on and on...

So, as I began this journey of healthier living, Grant gave me the book 'Food Rules' to read. I must say, several of the catchy rules have stuck with me and I can almost hear them as I grocery shop, cook, eat, etc. Lunch time came today and as I browsed the food court in my building I settled on Subway for lunch. I know, I know...I should have just brought my lunch...but getting a 6 inch Subway sub is a thousand times better than the double quarter pounder and large fries I would usually reach for. I get to the register and as they were taught in Subway school, the lady at the register asks if I would like to add chips and a drink for $2 more. Tempted? Yes I was, but I wasn't falling for it. I declined and opted for a 12oz bottle of water instead. To my surprise the bottle of water brought my total higher than it would have been if I bought the chips AND the soda. With my jaw dropped I pulled out my debit card which the cashier managed to pry from my clinched fingers, swipe, and return to me before I could utter a protest.

As I walked away frustrated, one of the rules that I read in Food Rules came back to me: "It's better to pay the grocer than the doctor." That one thought brought it all back into perspective for me. As much as I wanted the chips and soda and as much as I would rather not pay $2.50 for a "sip" of water...I would much rather pay more for a healthier choice, than spend my life paying the doctor, surgeon, pharmacist, etc.

So this little story is to serve as some comfort when you have to bite the bullet and pay more for a healthier option, or as a reminder when you're faced with a choice between the $5 salad or the 99 cent cheeseburger. Who would you rather pay - the grocer or the doctor? Given the choice, I'll take the grocer every single time. After all, how much would you pay to have more years with your kids, family, spouse? Certainly more than $2.50..."

No comments:

Post a Comment